Isn't it funny how things come around full circle? I originally posted this last January, but since we're in a rainy, dreary slump here in the Philadelphia suburbs, I thought I'd re-post for all the other families that are going a bit stir crazy and trying to beat the winter blues!
You know those rainy, snowy, foggy days where you really need to keep busy in order to maintain any sanity? It's so easy to just let the kids watch t.v. all afternoon or play video games. But, I really try to make a conscious effort to keep those things limited and get everyone focused on other activities. I'm not saying that it always works. But, here are 15 ideas to get us through more of these long winter days....
1) Craft with recycled materials or other things you already have at home. I recently found this Jellyfish in a bottle (shown to the right) on Pinterest. My sons also loved creating sculptures with styrofoam and pipe cleaners. Crafts such as DIY Snowflake Window Clings, Recycling your Crayons are easy and fun. Plus, you probably already have the supplies around the house.
2) Make paper snowflakes out of recycled paper or coffee filters.
4) Make a contact paper collage.
5) Make a sensory box filled with colored rice. Or search Google for other great sensory box ideas.
7) Go to your local library for some good books and a change of scenery. Continue here to read: Ten reasons why your local library is perfect place for indoor fun.
8) Make sock puppets with some of your mismatched socks and things you find around the house.
9) An afternoon bath can be so much fun. Gather up all of their race cars and have a 'car wash' in the bath tub, have a barbie pool party or play with other water toys. Or check out more activities on the Bath Activities for Kids website.
10) Check the Best Blogs for Local Fun to see what's going on in your area. Escape to an indoor play ground, bowling alley, mall or museum.
11) Make a bird feeder. Here are 5 easy ideas for DIY Bird feeders.
15) Call a neighbor or friend and have them join you for some indoor fun.
Do you have any other ideas? Leave a comment below.