Want to find out about DietBet's new promotion where they'll put up to $25 in your pot? Just scroll to the end of this post
Today, is a big day for me! It's the first day of my 4-week DietBet with a group of Philadelphia area mom bloggers. I'm no stranger to diets, but don't think I've ever been as excited as I am now to start one. I'm playing with a great group of women, I can win some money and lose weight. Yes!
I've been very successful with weight loss in the past, but the past few (post-baby) years, I've been in a rut. But, I really think DietBet is going to work for me. Let me tell you a little bit about why I love the concept of DietBet.
1) In DietBet, everyone can win! I've done weight loss competitions with friends before there was only 1 winner. At first I thought that was this was the best way to do a diet challenge like this. But, then you get players doing cleanses or juice fasts and they lose an extreme amount of weight in a short amount of time. This is not my style of dieting, and it can be discouraging to see someone like that walk away with the prize money when you were doing everything "right", still lost weight, but didn't win. Losing weight is good, but winning is always nice too!
2) DietBet encourages healthy weight loss. The amount of weight each player has to lose (4% or 8 pounds) are stipulated by the game's organizer. In our DietBet game, we decided to each aim for 4% weight loss. This will make it fair for everyone, no matter if you only need to lose 10 pounds or 50 pounds. And, no one should be tempted to try any crazy dieting methods, because 4% weight loss in 4 weeks seems like a very realistic goal. Slow and steady wins the race, right?
3) It's perfect for budget-minded moms like me. The amount of money each player has to bet is decided by the organizer of each individual game. Every player puts money in the pot at and whoever reaches their goal weight by the final weigh-in wins the pot. If more than one player reaches their goal, they split the pot evenly. This is perfect for women like me who already know how to lose weight, and just need extra motivation to do it. Some people like doing those weight lose programs where you pay to be weighed in every week, but that can add up fast. Setting up a DietBet with your friends is FREE. They only take a 5% fee per player if you use their services to collect the bets with PayPal or credit card. If you collect the bets yourself, there's no charge at all!
So, today is the big day - the diet begins! Last night, we all met at Tony Luke's in Philadelphia to have dinner and get weighed-in. Tony Luke lost 131 pounds in the past 11 months and he was happy to chat with us about weight loss while we were all eating the best cheese steaks! He is so inspiring and looks awesome. There are 9 bloggers participating in my DietBet challenge. We each put in $25 and then, the generous folks at DietBet put in an additional $1,000 for our game. I'll be chatting about this daily on Twitter and mix it into some of my blog post as well, but be sure to come back next Wednesday for an official update!
Want to start your own game?
DietBet will put up to $25 into your pot if you follow these steps:
1. Start a new game at www.DietBet.com
2. Set the weight goal, bet amount, and get four or more friends to play with you.
3. Use DietBet to hold the pot and they will spot your stake up to $25 when you use the promo code: F73HQI. If everyone bets $25 via PayPal or credit card, they will cover your $25 bet. If everyone bets $20 via PayPal or credit card, they will cover your $20 bet. etc.*
If you have any questions about DietBet, just send me a message here.
Check out Tony Luke Jr on Twitter too.
*Note: Offer expires on July 31, 2012 and must meet all of the requirements above.
Disclaimer: Consult with your doctor or qualified nutritionist before engaging in a Dietbet. Dietbets are intended to provide fun, enhanced motivation for people to engage in safe, healthy lifestyle changes. There are risks to playing which the Competitor bears. Do not engage in a Dietbet where you cannot safely lose the required weight in the required time, or when you cannot afford to lose the money that you Bet. DietBet, Inc. does not permit use of its services for dietbetting in jurisdictions where such contests are illegal. I am professionally affiliated with DietBet, please see my full disclosure here.